Rubberist.NET (Adults Only) * Rubber Garment KnowledgeBase (Technical Issues) * Specific categories of Rubber Garments * Hoods & Masks (not gas masks) + * Stopping eyeholes misting up? < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Alex_rubber
Prolific Postacrat
Username: Alex_rubber

Post Number: 99

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 09:31 am GMT:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Spit usually works, but also adjusting the mask. When I was "in the service" I was helped by a corporal who showed me how to put my gas mask on properly (you don't want leaks when walking in to a chemical filled battlefield!)

Basically the rubber mould that fits over nose and mouth wasn't fitted properly. The result was my warm air breath was flowing out in to the upper part of the mask, interacting with the cool air outside and condensing. Hence mist.

If the mask has moulding around the nose and mouth you could try adjusting it to get that tighter fit.

Alex ;-))
--
Alex Rubber's R U B B E R . S H E E T S

Fetish fiction, site reviews and more at
http://www.alexrubber.com

Willyjim2000
Accomplished Postacrat
Username: Willyjim2000

Post Number: 62

Posted on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 11:26 pm GMT:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

spit! It's an old diver's trick. It works great.
Willyjim2000

Dutchbloke2004
-
Username: Dutchbloke2004

Post Number: 6

Posted on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 08:01 pm GMT:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

easiest and simple way is to put a little layer of washingupfluid soap and rub the inside to create a small film which prevends the water to form in the inside.

Lokpin
-
Username: Lokpin

Post Number: 6

Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2003 - 12:05 pm GMT:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Being a biker and regularly suffering from misted up visors in the winter I use something that I was told about years ago but never bothered to try out until a couple of years ago. Washing-up Liquid. Just put a small spot on some kitchen roll and wipe it over the inside of the visor,as it dries just keep rubbing/polish the visor to prevent smears and thats it. It really does work and to date I haven't had a problem with soap in the eyes as long as you let it dry properly.
regards
happy rubbering
lokpin

Rubberred
-
Username: Rubberred

Post Number: 2

Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2003 - 09:53 am GMT:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ref diving & toothpast. I was under the impression that toothpast was used when breaking in a new mask. Silicon is left on the inside of the glass from the manufacturing process and the toothpast removes it,( Some people burn it of using a lighter, not recomended for perspex of plastic ). You can buy special fluid for keeping your mask clear, but most people just use spit. Mind you if your mask does fog up under water you can alway flood it, not so easy in a hood on dry land.

Gord
IAR Admin Team
Username: Gord

Post Number: 287

Posted on Monday, August 04, 2003 - 11:37 pm GMT:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hopefully Mistressannabel is merely referring to the thin, clear plastic commonly used in hoods. The idea of knife-like shards of plastic in my eyes is not a particularly big turn-on either!

Gord
Information is everything

Drgummi
Senior Postacrat
Username: Drgummi

Post Number: 199

Posted on Monday, August 04, 2003 - 07:55 pm GMT:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

be very careful with that 'perspex'G W: lots of it ain't perspex and can crack or shatter. I've just thrown away a very expensive inflatable hood which suffered just this fate; whatever else my kinks might be, having sharp plastic splinters over my eyes isn't one of 'em!

Mistressannabel
Aspiring Postacrat
Username: Mistressannabel

Post Number: 14

Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2003 - 08:38 pm GMT:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi

Thanks for all your handy hints guys. I have over three dozen hoods most in rubber but it's those misty little perspex eye holes that I find irritating; will be trying all the tips the hot weather at the moment in London will mean I can uber test all options!

Annabel
x

Ilkvinyl2
-
Username: Ilkvinyl2

Post Number: 10

Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2003 - 07:39 am GMT:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've done a bit of diving, and the general consensus from the people I've met is plain old toothpaste. Apply dry, rub around until it covers the full transparent surface, then get it underwater and rub until it appears that all the toothpaste is gone. Should fog up anymore...at least very much. Always has seemed to work for me. Spit works as well, but I find toothpaste to be a more consistent bet, as from what I could find, the effect of the spit is determined by the amount of snot involved. =) Anyhow, I don't see basic toothpaste being an issue on the rubber, either, but anyone can feel free to correct me.

-------
I Like Vinyl, Too

Cowchuk
-
Username: Cowchuk

Post Number: 7

Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2003 - 04:56 am GMT:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm not a diver, but when I used a swim mask in the past, I was told to spit on the inside of the mask/lens and wipe that around and I found that helped some. And spit is all natural.

And if you've ever read any "Hints from Heloise", she has mentioned cleaning your bathroom mirror with shaving cream which is supposed to help stop your bathroom mirror from steaming up when you take a shower.

Txl8xcpl
-
Username: Txl8xcpl

Post Number: 8

Posted on Saturday, August 02, 2003 - 12:55 am GMT:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In regards to Rain-X, the MSDS for it can be found at

http://www.windtrax.com/images/MSDS/RX11169_MSDS.pdf

Doesn't look good for use around the eyes.

You can try the old swimmer's trick of a little saliva rubbed on the inside if the lenses, or use a small piece of raw potato and rub the insides of lenses with the potato. As stated previously, this won't reduce the moisture, but will mitigate the fogging.

Cheers!

Gord
IAR Admin Team
Username: Gord

Post Number: 284

Posted on Friday, August 01, 2003 - 11:16 pm GMT:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had one of these hoods and suffered the same symptoms. I decided I had two choices:
1. Cut out the plastic eyepieces. Advantage: vision. Disadvantage: loss of feeling of total enclosure.
2. Leave eyepieces in place. Advantage: feeling of total enclosure. Disadvantage: loss of vision.

Sorry to spell it out like this, but basically a hammer is not a wrench. You cannot always expect to make one instrument function as two. In your illustrious profession, surely you can afford two such hoods - one with and one without eyepieces. Thus you can offer your punter some choice. That will lift your status a peg or two?

Gord.
Information is everything

Tightfit
Prolific Postacrat
Username: Tightfit

Post Number: 91

Posted on Friday, August 01, 2003 - 06:36 pm GMT:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Mistressannabel In the US we have a super product used for racing cars called RainXG. When applied properly to a glass or plastic window it can't stop the moisture from forming but it will cause it to reduce to micro beads and run off the coated surface leaving a very clear view.
Hope this helps.
TF

Aggiss69
-
Username: Aggiss69

Post Number: 2

Posted on Friday, August 01, 2003 - 05:34 pm GMT:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

if you go to any motorcycle shop you can get a spray used to stop the visors misting up should be the same idea

Dark
Senior Postacrat
Username: Dark

Post Number: 370

Posted on Friday, August 01, 2003 - 05:09 pm GMT:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The short answer is NO. The humidity is increasing because the moisture cannot evaporate...it is trapped in a high humidity environment. The only option is to provide a way for the trapped humid air to escape/mix with outside drier air. There are products which mitigate the condensation forming, in the inside of lenses... but without a way for the humidity to escape... this condition will always be present.

Mistressannabel
Aspiring Postacrat
Username: Mistressannabel

Post Number: 13

Posted on Friday, August 01, 2003 - 04:34 pm GMT:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi

I've got a wonderful inflatable hood by Demask which I love to use on enclosure enthusiasts.

My problem is this. Any time the play partner starts to sweat the eye holes steam up. Is there anything I can put on the clear perspex eyeholes to stop them misting over? Any good tips would be appreciated

Help!!

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here. (Register HERE Free!)
(WARNING! Posting your email address in a message is an invitation for Spammers to send you garbage. It is safer to have people contact you through your profile. (Make sure you have private messaging enabled in your profile.)
Password: Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: