Rubberist.NET (Adults Only) * Rubber Garment KnowledgeBase (Technical Issues) * Specific categories of Rubber Garments * White marks on rubber < Previous Next >

Drgummi
Senior Postacrat
Username: Drgummi

Post Number: 243

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 08:07 pm GMT:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'ma Son of a Gun fan, but I use it ALONGSIDE pervoshine. I use SOAG to 'seal' the surface and then Pervoshine on top to make a layer which washes off with the dirt.

Re the dull thing; not noticed it yet - the main sufferer was my latex jacket from AQrmory, which has been in the wars rather a lot anyway. If I am faced with something dull and I want to pep it up I use Cult/Eros (reluctantly) - produces a temporary shine for the duration of a session, at least...

Peegee
-
Username: Peegee

Post Number: 6

Posted on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 02:31 pm GMT:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes! I read about Son of a Gun ages ago and have used it ever since. It even has an ozone-friendly spray top that sometimes doesn't work, so the stuff comes out in a milky-white stream - a bit like something else...what can it be??

Merzbit
Aspiring Postacrat
Username: Merzbit

Post Number: 15

Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 11:24 pm GMT:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

do you not agree that it is the hidden unspoken of elixir but for some reason is repeatedly left off the rubber-shining bestsellers list!

Rbrbri
-
Username: Rbrbri

Post Number: 9

Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 11:00 pm GMT:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've used "Son of a gun "for years.Swear by it

Merzbit
Aspiring Postacrat
Username: Merzbit

Post Number: 13

Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 10:10 pm GMT:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does anyone use STP Son of a Gun? For me this is the ultimate shiner-upper thats low priced unlike Pervoshine et al and works much better than the first "silicone spray" i bought when I was a less advanced latex lover.

Rubanix
-
Username: Rubanix

Post Number: 6

Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 09:20 pm GMT:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Also in my experience itís far from harmless if you donít catch up with these white marks in time. I got my first bed sheets affected when stored away in darkness during summer, and a jogging suit that I didnít use very much. It easy to wipe off the white marks but the rubber was dull were the marks had been. The white stuff looked like some oxidation but felt like sulphur! Perhaps someone with chemical knowledgeís can explain this for us

Trying to avoid this I wash up new items several times to remove any coating from manufacturing processes and I also regularly wash up items I donít use so often.
I use a water based polish for coating, never silicone .
I have never got this problem with garments I use and wash often like suits and underwear.
On the positive side is, I have noticed on my bed sheets, that the dull parts slowly turns to normal. If this is an effect of rubber sliding against I donít know.
Rubanix

Leannelatextv
Accomplished Postacrat
Username: Leannelatextv

Post Number: 65

Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 08:17 pm GMT:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ummm... in my experience it is far from harmless; it makes the latex go dull, depending on how badly it is affected by it.

During the heatwave in the summer a few of my items were affected by this same thing, it is obviously a reaction to the heat as the items in question were kept in wardrobes that were dark but obviously got a bit too hot. It was easy enough to remove the white marks, yes - but unfortunately, the latex where the marks were is now dull and not able to be shined up any more, not even with silicone spray. It has really spoiled a couple of items.

What I have learned from this is to a) keep the latex in as cool a place as possible and b) make sure it is well polished with something such as Pervoshine before storing. One of the items that was affected was a new outfit from Torture Garden which had not been polished (so the surface was not so 'wet', as I keep everything polished with a generous helping of Pervoshine), but was kept along with a lot of my other latex clothes - it was the only item in this particular wardrobe to be affected by the white marks and I'm sure its because everything else was well polished and not able to 'dry out' as much.

If there's another heatwave next summer I'll definitely be keeping an eye out on my latex for signs of this.

Drgummi
Senior Postacrat
Username: Drgummi

Post Number: 242

Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 07:22 pm GMT:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's harmless; in fact it's humidity or some other reaction coming out of the materila in the heat. Anything which you use as a regular polish will take it off.

Why it happens: no idea. I used to think it was sunlight exposure, but I've put some stuff in the basement this year which has come out of the recent heat wave with the same white marks, so anyone with any other suggestions will certainly have me listening!

Blackbird
-
Username: Blackbird

Post Number: 3

Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 06:21 pm GMT:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We have recently stored much of our rubber items in our loft o rails. Over the summer most of it has inherited a sort of white foggy mark .
Has anybody have any idea how this has happened and how it can be removed

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here. (Register HERE Free!)
(WARNING! Posting your email address in a message is an invitation for Spammers to send you garbage. It is safer to have people contact you through your profile. (Make sure you have private messaging enabled in your profile.)
Password: Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: