Rubberist.NET (Adults Only) * Rubber Garment KnowledgeBase (Technical Issues) * Specific categories of Rubber Garments * Cutting Rubber Sheet? < Previous Next >

Ladyrobin
-
Username: Ladyrobin

Post Number: 10

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 12:14 am GMT:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bloodflame,

Please contact me at my profile address regarding my ordering the product you mentioned.

BTW ALL I am still hoping to find someone to share and ship to me 2m latex from 4D Rubber or another source (if anyone knows of one that sells 2m wide material. As above, please contact me via my profile e-mail address.

All be well and be SAFE

Lady Robin
--------------------------------------------
> I use a cordless cutting tool that I got
> from Canadian Tire (Canadian Hardware/Automotive Store)
>
> I'm sure that there must be a similar product
> in various hardware stores around the world.
>
> It cuts latex sheeting like soft butter making quick work
> of rounded corners and makes perfectly straight lines. I've > tried rotary cutters and I find they drag the latex while > cutting and regular scissors just bunch up, these don't.
>
> I've also tried a hot knife which works well but are > expensive and hard to find, and the blade tips don't last > long.
>
> If anyone is interested in contacting me to get these if > they can't find them in their area then feel free to do so. > They are cheap ($19.99 CAN).
> I'm always willing to help fellow rubberists.}

Bloodflame
-
Username: Bloodflame

Post Number: 2

Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2004 - 09:30 pm GMT:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I use a cordless cutting tool that I got
from Canadian Tire (Canadian Hardware/Automotive Store)

I'm sure that there must be a similar product
in various hardware stores around the world.

It cuts latex sheeting like soft butter making quick work
of rounded corners and makes perfectly straight lines. I've tried rotary cutters and I find they drag the latex while cutting and regular scissors just bunch up, these don't.

I've also tried a hot knife which works well but are expensive and hard to find, and the blade tips don't last long.

If anyone is interested in contacting me to get these if they can't find them in their area then feel free to do so. They are cheap ($19.99 CAN).
I'm always willing to help fellow rubberists.

Latex Cutting Tool

Blackice
Senior Postacrat
Username: Blackice

Post Number: 233

Posted on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 10:34 am GMT:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi

Just to say the tape method works as thats what I did when I started experimenting.

M

Latexsuitman
Aspiring Postacrat
Username: Latexsuitman

Post Number: 18

Posted on Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 01:49 pm GMT:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am converted! Upto now I have always used scissors, I have a pair of Fiskar dress making ones and they are very good and I have made alot of stuff. I have just tried a rotary cutter and agree with Ladyrobin that it is the best method, smooth cut, very straight against a steel rule and much quicker than scissors. You do need a smooth surface to cut against a sheet of MDF works well. The rotary cutter I used is quite old and I will now invest in a new one. They are easily found on UK craft websites via Google, Fiskars and Olfa make them both of which are shown in Ataraxia's pics.

Rubberwalker, I have made a full set of double bedding (sheet, duvet cover, pillows and valance)from 4D Supatex they will only supply 20m in 2m wide you need about 12m for a full set. I used 0.31/0.38 after trying a sample of this and the 0.5 gauge which I thought was too heavy. The feeling is great and the weight is just right.
Regards

Latexsuitman

Encased
Senior Postacrat
Username: Encased

Post Number: 185

Posted on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 07:10 pm GMT:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i've also heard that you should use 'low tack' masking tape. apparently, regular masking tape's adhesive is similar to rubber cement, which could make cleanup rather difficult.

Thequietone
Journeyman Postacrat
Username: Thequietone

Post Number: 27

Posted on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 01:47 pm GMT:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Always handy to do something like that. Can also be handy when gluing a join together. It stops the latex distorting giving a more accurate cut or a move even join.

TQ1 - The Quiet One.

Gooi
Aspiring Postacrat
Username: Gooi

Post Number: 15

Posted on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 07:28 pm GMT:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Coincidently I got the tip today to tape along the line you want to cut, with paper or plastic tape. This should make it easier to use plain, sharp scissors. I haven't tried it yet. I think it will only work on straight lines though.

Gooi

Tightfit
Senior Postacrat
Username: Tightfit

Post Number: 125

Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 06:58 pm GMT:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi: Rubberwalker Doing this for the first time can be hard core trickery.

Rick (see his IAR profile) is one of our more capable garment makers and he has mentioned a latex sheet that is pre-mounted on a type of paper backing. It can be very easily and accurately cut and glued. When finished just peal off the paper. Also cost a bit more.

Hope it helps
TightFit

Rubberwalker
-
Username: Rubberwalker

Post Number: 2

Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 05:15 pm GMT:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks to both of you!

I'll see how I get on with a rotary cutter!

Ataraxia
IAR Admin Team
Username: Ataraxia

Post Number: 545

Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 03:07 pm GMT:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you are going to cut a lot of sheet rubber and having nice sharp, clean straight edges is important, a rotary cutter would be a good investment.
dd 2 3
Search on "rotary cutter" in Google or other search engine to shop for them.
Civil debate improves us; personal attacks destroy us!

Ladyrobin
-
Username: Ladyrobin

Post Number: 3

Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 02:41 pm GMT:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

I have used scissors, an sharp X-acto knife, and rotary cutter.

I now prefer and usually use the rotary cutter because when I cut with scissors I find it very difficult to obtain / make a smooth edge. Likewise the sharp blade seems to 'pull' / distort the latex as it cuts leaving a smoother but, not straight edge.

I would appreciate your considering my offering to join you in purchasing 2m wide latex as long as you don't mind packing and shipping.

ThankS and GOOD LUCK

Be well and be SAFE

Lady Robin

Rubberwalker
-
Username: Rubberwalker

Post Number: 1

Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 01:48 pm GMT:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All,

I am a forum newbie ... glad to be a member.
I want to make some rubber bed sheets. If I buy some latex/rubber sheeting (2m wide)direct from a manufacturer it is a lot cheaper than buying ready made bed sheets from a supplier. But usually it is only available in minimum lengths like 10m.

What is the best way to cut sheet rubber? Sharp scissors? A sharp knife? Any advice gratefully received.

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here. (Register HERE Free!)
(WARNING! Posting your email address in a message is an invitation for Spammers to send you garbage. It is safer to have people contact you through your profile. (Make sure you have private messaging enabled in your profile.)
Password: Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: