Site Search Site Search
Since
Latex Fetish community Rubber Fetish community Rubberist Fetish community International Association of Rubberists logo The International Association of |R|ubberists
"You are not alone!"
Click a picture above to go HOME | Translate current page to: English -->               Arabic   English -->               Chinese   Traduisez le -->               Francais   Ubersetzen Sie -->               Deustch   Traduca Il -->               Italiano   English -->               Nippon-go   English -->               Korean   English -->               Portugese   English -->               Russian   Traduzca El -->               Espanol -->English Terms of service : you must be 18 or older to view this site. More..
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

View Entire Thread: -----GENERAL GARMENT-MAKING STRATEGIES (no particular type of garment)-----

MissBish

Default Re: Setting up to make latex clothes

Well done Wiggly!

As in2myrbr says, post a pic for us.

Have you considered a ready to wear collection.....'Wigglys Wubber Wonders', catchy huh?

sorry, couldnt help it, keep up the excellent work and progress reports,

Miss B

UK England (northern)
    Region:
    Harrogate

I learned a lesson today, if you're not happy with a seam, unstick it and try again. "It'll do" is not the motto of a winner!

My final garment was great, but I wasn't totally happy with the rear seam, it was slightly bunched, but after four or five goes to get it right, I got close.

Close, but no cigar, however, and today when I tried it on, it pulled apart. But, undeterred, I cleaned the glue off the join, re-sandpapered, re-thinnered, re-glued, and re-stuck the seam, and am now much happier with it.

Hopefully, this one will take better.

What I need now is a good idea for the next garment. Not too much in the way of curved seams. I need more seam practice before I go into that. Suggestions? I think a pair of regular briefs would be three straight seams, a tight top no sleeves would be four seams, although the longer side seams would have to be curved in at the middle a bit... not sure. I have lots of blue latex to practice with and the green and red I bought for when I get good.

I would be interested to find anyone who also has a couple of metres of black latex I might purchase.

Will update on the wearing of the shorts and take a picture for posting here if all goes well.

wiggly.

CA Ontario, Canada
    Region:
    near toronto

Hey Wiggly, here's a thought for a top to go with your shorts. How about a top, made in the style of a T shirt, but with no sleaves.

It would only need to be one piece with a hole cut out for the head to go through. And only 2 seams, one on either side of the chest. If you want me to throw together quick sketch let me know and I will.

Electrojim is offline Minister of Silliness Postacrat 1000+
    AU - Australia
    Region:
    Tasmania

Hi Wiggly. Welcome to our place!
    Here's a simple piece to try. I haven't found a good name for the garment. Call it a tunic, a tabard or a toga. Something like that. But it's still great to wear on a warm day.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Electrojim; 2006-Dec-12 at 20:47.

UK England (northern)
    Region:
    Harrogate

I did it!!

We have lift off!!

Well, the seam held and was much better after a re-glueing. I am now the proud owner of a pair of lovely shorts!

Looking at the shape of the red top I am wearing in the attached pictures, it has no curved seams, so that would be a good one for me to attempt to make, although I think I will do mine with wider shoulders.

That's the project for the weekend. Will let you know how I get on.

wiggly
    Attached Images

CA Ontario, Canada
    Region:
    near toronto

Well done Wiggly, you seem to have it completely under control already. As for you top, thats pretty much what I was thinking of but with your description of a wider shoulder. If I find a pattern or I can get my scanner working again, I'll pop a few pictures into the thread.

Currently I'm working on a patern for a pair of pants that will be made out of only 2 pieces. I'm going to try plastic and vinyl first, and then shrink it for latex later. If it works, I'll post pics and share the basic pattern.

UK England (northern)
    Region:
    Harrogate

Learned a few things on a visit to our nation's capital today!
    I went to liberation (libidex's shop in covent garden)
    1. They glue most of everything with copydex, so my technique is OK by all accounts
    2. Nearly all the garments in the store have very few curved seams, just clever straight-edge patterns.
    3. The shop has a sale on and I got two gorgeous tops for only ?70 the pair. Yumster.
    4. I asked the lovely designer and store manager, and he says seams are all about practice, there is no secret trick. Which is what everyone said, but it is nice to hear that from someone in one of the major fashion houses.
    Am going to sort out my patterns over the weekend and have another go.
    have fun
    wiggly.

Wired is offline Director and Webmaster Postacrat 1000+
    UK England (northern)
    Region:
    Lancashire

Hi wiggly,

Nice work on the shorts, best of luck with your next project.

Curve seams are a real test for beginners, written descriptions arent much use at all and the technique really needs to be felt and seen. Unfortunately there arent many garments that dont include curved seams. Even a simple pair of briefs can include a curved seam at the back. You'll find that all anatomically correct designs will include many cuved seams to accomodate the natural curvatures present on the human body. I'm working on putting together a video tutorial to show the technique of making curved seams but this is for the future, stay tuned.

I wondered wether the people at Libidex actually told you that Copydex was the adhesive they used or wether you'd assumed it? My experience of Libidex garments leads me to believe that they are users of the Bostik/Solvent mix. I'm not aware of any premium manufacturers who use Copydex due to the lack of lasting strength and water resistance. An easy way to tell if the garment has been made with Copydex is to try to gently peel apart the seam. If it comes apart with ease then Copydex has been used, if not then Bostik has been used as this creates a long lasting, unpeelable ,water resistant bond.

Keep up the great work and keep those pics coming, great stuff!
    regards,
    Wired.

MissBish

Default Re: -----GARMENT-MAKING STRATEGIES-----

Curved seams are nasty, but they can be beaten!!!! The key I have found is to straighten one side.

Imagine you have a curved crotch seam to attach to another.

Take a piece of thickish smooth card with a strip of double-sided tape stuck to it the length of your seam (dab it with your fingers a few times so that its not too sticky). Take your latex and carefully stick it flat to the taped card straightening the curve out as you stick, (use the edge of the tape as a guide to gently turn the curved edge of the latex into a straight edge). Apply your thinners and glue, it shouldnt buckle or curl because its stuck down. Then take your other curved piece and slowly attach it bit by bit to your ready glued section, straightening that piece as well, as you go. Roller the seam gently, and then even more gently peel the latex from the tape, roller firmly and Hey presto !!!(hopefully).

Another tip learnt from last weeks rush job, if you have a leg length piece of card say about 4" wide with d/sided tape down it - you can hold and glue a whole leg seam....or a sleeve - not tried one of those yet.

Ooh and I nearly forgot - if you are using trans or semi/trans latex, put a dark pencil line on the card down the edge of the double sided tape - and you have a great seam guide.

Also, dont worry about upeeling the tape from the card when it loses its stick', just put more on top, as it builds up and you get a definate 'edge', you have another seam guide which you can feel through the latex.

Like Wired says, you just keep learning with this stuff, and every cock up you make teaches you something else. by that equation, I'm learning faster than most

My next project is going to be zip practice and does anyone have any info re grommet machines.

PS the above, curved seam thingy only works for inny curves (concave, that should be). For attaching outy curves to straight bits - just reverse the procedure and tape your straight bit into a curve!! outy curves to outy curves - I will have to get back to you on.

PPS Does anyone know the best way to get d/sided tape off a saucepan - tried Spirits idea of using curved kitchen utensils - better get some more thinners

ZA - South Africa
    Region:
    Johannesburg

Default Re: -----GARMENT-MAKING STRATEGIES-----

Missbish double sided tape sticks like you know what to a blanket, first mask the edge and then stick the masking tape to the double sided tape, then you don't have all that goo to get off.

I use MEK to clean up afterwards "Methal Ethal Keytone", it is just strong enough to remove the glue residue and any tape backing that has been left on the rubber, does a nice job.

As for a guide I have different widths of masking tape, and on the side to glue use the tape as my marker and makes a nice straight glue edge, so not so much cleaning afterwards.

This free sticking with the dexterity of the fingers I can not get right, so if on a curved section take both pieces to be glued, an inside and an out side, for you want the shiny side the same, back it with tape keeping the lengths the same, the tape will now inhibit it from stretching.

Lay a strip of double sided tape flat and straight on a piece of board, now stick the one side down,you have your masking tape giving your glue guide, kleen and apply glue.

Your reverse side is kleened and glued, let dry for 5 mins or moreI have found even 1/2 an hour later it still sticks fine, then start to work the 2 joints together, because the rubber can not stretch it is forced to take on that straight edge, but when releasedyour curve will be there.

Now that I have got myself completely confused with the telling, I hope you made head or tail out of it.

I have used all sorts of curves, like my knee , sofa arm, bottles pieces of plumbers pipe, a box full of wierd and wonderfull shapes to get it right, but so far have been very successfull, and my cat suits are every bit as good as bought ones, and they are custom made with not a wrinkle any where.

Now all I need to do is find out how to post pics, I just cannot get that rite.

Have the cammera, tripod, taken good pics, and then transfered them to my computer, then hit a brick wall, how to resize, all this pixel, KBs, I just don't understand, I think you could teach me the Swahili language quicker.