Site Search Site Search
Since
Latex Fetish community Rubber Fetish community Rubberist Fetish community International Association of Rubberists logo The International Association of |R|ubberists
"You are not alone!"
Click a picture above to go HOME | Translate current page to: English -->               Arabic   English -->               Chinese   Traduisez le -->               Francais   Ubersetzen Sie -->               Deustch   Traduca Il -->               Italiano   English -->               Nippon-go   English -->               Korean   English -->               Portugese   English -->               Russian   Traduzca El -->               Espanol -->English Terms of service : you must be 18 or older to view this site. More..
Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

View Entire Thread: .HOODS of rubber/latex (also see Masks OR Gasmasks)

Open in New Window
    Dark

Default Re: Hoods

Karen,
    You have related a very satisfying experience you have had with a hood. But you also mention all the anxieties others have about them and even dislike of them for whatever reason. In your case you and that partner were moving on parrallel paths because you both DID like the experience, but you hadn't actually articulated it and shared it in theory before practice.

You found that you were on the same page a la hoods because you two jumped into an encounter. In this account both of you knew the other was "kink friendly" because of your visit to the sex shop earlier... if I am reading your account correctly.

Not everyone HAS a partner who is kink friendly and would responds in anything like the way you did. Yes... some would.... perhaps having very deeply surpressed their interest in kink. But many people would really freak at the scene which you describe. Perhaps open minded playful people might be talked into trying it... short of discussing the scene and then playing it... and then doing a de brief at the end to learn more about each other's feelings about the scene. This may lead to more or may lead to less or no future scenes. Not everyone can be made to enjoy kink... even the ones who gives it a shot. In your case you both were pre disposed to kink... but needed the right partner, gear and circumstances for it to happen. You didn't need to discuss it at first... as he obviously was tuned into your response and willingness from the beginning.

Hoods are very much a completely alien experience for us. We may wear a hat but we rarely of ever cover our faces, obscure our identites or isolate our senses...or limit our breathing as some hoods do.

The ideal situation for these sorts of interactions is for the person to want to do and/or wear the thing which thrills you. So if YOU like a hooded partner... you really want them to LIKE to be hooded on their own. Yes... some would do this as a gesture of being a good sport as part of a mutual ... I scratch your back if you scratch mine thingy... But that is defintely a notch lower than finding the partner whose "dreams" mirror or match your own.

Rubber fetish has this intersting aspect in that wearing it is about how YOU feel in your own skin... how you make yourself look in your own eyes and so on. But it is also about how you look to your partner or others. You are transforming yourself for THEM as well. Someone who does not get it about the first part... who feels nothing from the experience of wearing rubber or being enclosed or hooded, doesnt groove on the way they look to themselves may still do it all for their partner. But the experience for both is somewhat shallower at best.

For example, someone who seeks a domina, but has a submissive type partner who will play the part of the domina may not be as fulfilling. Both know very clearly that she is acting a part even is she looks as dominant as the best of them. She may put him through his paces... but receive no pleasure as a dominant might. She may actually wish the roles were reversed I suppose. The illusion can work for many. In fact, so much of fetish IS about illusion, image and slipping into "temporary" roles and letting yourself enjoy those roles.

Hoods and masks really push us away from who we normally are. They are unambiguous statements that we want to conceal our "other self"... and for those transparent type hoods which may not hide our identity... they seem to send a message about a love of bondage and enclosure.

I have often wondered why someone as bold as LadyII has never ventured out with a transparent latex hood... or worn it around a town on one of her trips where her identity could not be associated with her "real one".

I suspect that many dress-up roles playing in public takes place far enough away from home so as not to threaten your real (other) existence. I can't see someone who lives in an apartment block decide sometimes to leave the house in rubber enclosure and on other days and business attire on others. Although there is no reason why this should not be possible... Today it would probably cause "neighbor" issues in reality and who needs that?

Masks and hoods are very threatening to others in public as nefarious motives are attributed to someone who wears a mask. Islamic dress, as LadyII has so well pointed out is one acceptable way to conceal your idenity in public. Having said that, I suspect that females in masks or hoods might more easily be accepted in public because they would be seen as less threatening than males and because it can be "disguised" as a fashion statement.. even if it looks kinky.

Another interesting aspect of wearing tight hoods and masks is that our faces are loaded with sensory neurons so much more than almost any area of our skin. We are really playing with lots of sensation when we play with hoods. This may all be vaguely known as so much of our communication is concerned with the face and its expressions... and our ability to read others. Denying them this information is a way of separating us away and into our own world where we use our facial sensations for our own selfish need.

What do you think about this?
    Last edited by Dark; 2005-Jul-20 at 11:28.

Lupin

Default Re: Hoods

As usual, Dark has written an interesting and insightful piece, but has tried to encompass the whole world at once. I'm a bit confused at the overall direction of his thoughts.

Here's my thought on masks:

Masks are potentially very dangerous things. A mishap with a rubber mask could end in death, even when it reasonably shouldn't be able to. Playing with masks alone is risky indeed. What is more, some masks can feel dangerous (even if they aren't really that risky). In the semi-safe, regulated, censored world that governments have made for us, people go looking for danger. They find it in many places, but some find it in rubber masks: in the moment of panic when you realise you can't breathe.

Yes, masks can feel very intense without having to inhibit breathing or imposing the risk of it, obviously so - why else would people love inflatables hoods so much? It's so obvious it's a given.

What other aspects make mask wearing great? Dark talks about identity. This is an interesting area. Does anyone have experiences or thoughts on this aspect?

Ataraxia is offline IAR Founder & |R|ubberNaut (Retired) Postacrat 1000+
    US Eastern US, Middle Atlantic
    Region:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Default Mask vs. Hood

What is the difference between a "mask" and a "hood"?
    Last edited by Ataraxia; 2005-Aug-21 at 13:06.
    Want to go deeper? Explore RubberNaut.com

US Midwest Southern US
    Region:
    Memphis, TN

Default Re: -----HOODS-----

Quote Originally spoken by Ataraxia
    What is the difference between a "mask" and a "hood"?

There seems to be no differance in the rubber world, however a mask "should" only cover the face while a hood "should" cover the entire head.

Now I have a wierd view on hoods because although i really like the idea of wearing them -I don't actually seem to like having them on.
    Wierd huh?

I don't believe i would wear an inflatable hood, but i really want to get use to wearing a regular hood.

(___)

UK England (Midlands)
    Region:
    Northamptonshire

It's really interesting all the different views. I like my hoods and most of the time I have a partner who knows I like them and doesn't mind me in them - but again there are limits to what she will accept. I ventured into the realms of a hood with attached gas mask. It has a rebreath bag and gag (really nice ! but she says I look like a fireman so it has never been used in a together cenario. But i agree that care has to be taken. I have a coocoon suit with attached hood. The backzip is lockable and the other night it was locked we were well away and then the nose holes (there are no other holes) moved -i don't normally panic but my heart went crazy - PANIC - but christ I came like a train! - but i was scared - SO Trust is soo important!

I have inflatable hood as well and there just a totally different expierence!

Philfred

dutchbloke2005

Default scarry and hoods

well philfred ,

that must have been a lesson to remember. when i was a youngster ,one of my first catsuits was the cocoon catsuit with attached hood, with just only nose holes and it fitted perfectly , it fealt like heaven.i adored it, until one day i tried to unzip and it was caught right on top of my head and stopped because of hair. 20 years ago hair was much longer as today. and hairprotective layers of latex inside was rather small and had no use.

i can keep up with something like that for a short while , like 10 min , in my mind it more looked like an hour, but then it got really scarry for me too, in the end i pulled a small hole in the mask allowing me to breathe more , but it took me some 20 min to get the zip open.

weird enough i never had the comfortable feeling afterwards, still being remembered at the terrible moment i discovered the lock. it spoiled part of the fun. since then i always check and recheck any mask i wear to avoid same problem

it proofs 2 things

1 safety always first
    2 am not the totalenclosure tupe of rubberist ,
    (are you born with that or can you learn it by keeping control over yourself?)

here s another example of rubbering by yourself, if anything goes wrong theres no one around helping out.

dutchbloke

Ataraxia is offline IAR Founder & |R|ubberNaut (Retired) Postacrat 1000+
    US Eastern US, Middle Atlantic
    Region:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Default Mask vs. Hood

From the Wikipedia:

Bondage Hood:
    bondage hoodWped It is designed to completely cover the head, and is thus accommodated with an opening at the back to extend the neck hole for adorning - which may be done up with a zip or cord.

MaskmaskWped: Tends to be more associated with ceremonial use, disquise, entertainment or transofrming someone into another person or identity. Masks may also be "protective" such as gasmasks, oxygen masks, etc.

Apparently the main difference in terminology is that a hood covers the entire head as an occulusive device. Whereas, masks tend to cover only the face or parts of it and are often intended to change the appararent identity of the wearer.

I suppose this difference becomes even more murky when you consider the kinds of "female masks" that Kerry and others speak of. These often cover the head entirely but are intended to convey a different identity for the wearer. Would it be more accurate to refer to these as "hoodmasks"?????
    Want to go deeper? Explore RubberNaut.com

rubberman05

I find hoods to be a great experience. I own a number of hoods(Rubber with eye and nose holes, rubber with only mouth hole, rubber with only nose holes, and a spandex one.) I have never tried just masks because i enjoy the feeling of full encasement. I find that if i dont have a lot of time just using a hood can satusfy me needs. One of the most important things about hoods is to make sure you can breathe and drink. I have never tried masks but i was wondering if anyone could show me some examples of masks. i know of gas masks but i havent seen any other types. I will say that hoods are wonderful. the feeling of head encasement and breath play with a fully covered head is wonderful. If anyone would like any tips or anything just ask.

CA Alberta, Canada
    Region:
    Calgary

Default Re: Mask vs. Hood

Quote Originally spoken by Ataraxia

I suppose this difference becomes even more murky when you consider the kinds of "female masks" that Kerry and others speak of. These often cover the head entirely but are intended to convey a different identity for the wearer. Would it be more accurate to refer to these as "hoodmasks"?????
    Perhaps we can start a proper definition for these. How about calling them "Total Enclosure Masks" or TE masks. I think this might solve that definition problem.

What do you think?

STEFFY :ca:
    STEFFY :ca: Rubber Doll and latex fashion lover

UK England (south western)
    Region:
    Bristol

I categorise and describe the pictures and videos on my collection, so I sort of have a short-form for most items of clothing.

However hoods/masks have always given me difficulty, as I want to differentiate between open face and full face hoods. I tried using the word mask for one and hood for the other, but it didn't work - the associations were wrong. And that's precisely because of the face-only emphasis of mask. You don't often get masks that only cover the face in fetish wear - hoods, open face or full face are much more common.

Maybe we should use helmet for an open face hood, which covers the head but not the face, and hood for full face hood? Or must I be less lazy and spell out open face or full face each time?

And what is the proper name for the garment that covers the female torso, has shoulder straps, and suspender fastenings? Are there names for the variants that do or don't cover the breasts?