Site Search Site Search
Since
Latex Fetish community Rubber Fetish community Rubberist Fetish community International Association of Rubberists logo The International Association of |R|ubberists
"You are not alone!"
Click a picture above to go HOME | Translate current page to: English -->               Arabic   English -->               Chinese   Traduisez le -->               Francais   Ubersetzen Sie -->               Deustch   Traduca Il -->               Italiano   English -->               Nippon-go   English -->               Korean   English -->               Portugese   English -->               Russian   Traduzca El -->               Espanol -->English Terms of service : you must be 18 or older to view this site. More..

View Poll Results: My preference for Gasmasks is

Voters
1669. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dislike very much

90 5.39%
  • Dislike

71 4.25%
  • Neutral

165 9.89%

327 19.59%
  • Like very much

1,016 60.87%
Page 16 of 30 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast

View Entire Thread: .GAS MASKS, Respirators or Rebreathers

Wired is offline Director and Webmaster Postacrat 1000+
    UK England (northern)
    Region:
    Lancashire

Default Re: .GAS MASKS, Respirators or Rebreathers

Hmmm... mine's the same. The cup doesent quite reach my face either but I dont think this is an essential requirement, the mask seems to function well even so.

How is it possible to tell which size it is,are there markings on the mask?

UK England (south eastern)
    Region:
    Oxfordshire

Default Re: Hygiene in gas masks

Quote Originally spoken by rubberwearer

I don?t want to use bleach to sterilise because the smell of that is unpleasant and it might remove the rubbery aroma which is the main attraction of gas masks.

I don?t mind a bit of muck on my ?outside? skin but my internal lungs are a different matter.

Can anyone help? . . .
    What about standard antibacterial surface cleaner. It's not as harsh as bleach, and once you've given it a spray and a short soak you could rinse it out with water?

When I first got my mask I gave it a complete wash out with antibacterial washing up liquid and really hot water. I've not got anything nasty off it to my knowledge .

Moose

Region:
    Toledo

Having had to ?Suck Rubber? in refineries and nuclear plants for other than recreational purposes, there are cleaners that are used to disinfect and condition the rubber/silicone masks. I would check an industrial safety supply source.

http://www.mohawksafety.com/industrl/resp/north.htm cleaning wipes at the bottom of the page.

OSHA Respiratory Protection Standards 29 CFR 1910.134
    Appendix B-2 to ? 1910.134: Respirator Cleaning Procedures (Mandatory)
    These procedures are provided for employer use when cleaning respirators. They are general in nature, and the employer as an alternative may use the cleaning recommendations provided by the manufacturer of the respirators used by their employees, provided such procedures are as effective as those listed here in Appendix B- 2. Equivalent effectiveness simply means that the procedures used must accomplish the objectives set forth in Appendix B-2, i.e., must ensure that the respirator is properly cleaned and disinfected in a manner that prevents damage to the respirator and does not cause harm to the user.
    I. Procedures for Cleaning Respirators
    A. Remove filters, cartridges, or canisters. Disassemble facepieces by removing speaking diaphragms, demand and pressure- demand valve assemblies, hoses, or any components recommended by the manufacturer. Discard or repair any defective parts.
    B. Wash components in warm (43 deg. C [110 deg. F] maximum) water with a mild detergent or with a cleaner recommended by the manufacturer. A stiff bristle (not wire) brush may be used to facilitate the removal of dirt.
    C. Rinse components thoroughly in clean, warm (43 deg. C [110 deg. F] maximum), preferably running water. Drain.
    D. When the cleaner used does not contain a disinfecting agent, respirator components should be immersed for two minutes in one of the following:
    1. Hypochlorite solution (50 ppm of chlorine) made by adding approximately one milliliter of laundry bleach to one liter of water at 43 deg. C (110 deg. F); or,
    2. Aqueous solution of iodine (50 ppm iodine) made by adding approximately 0.8 milliliters of tincture of iodine (6-8 grams ammonium and/or potassium iodide/100 cc of 45% alcohol) to one liter of water at 43 deg. C (110 deg. F); or,
    3. Other commercially available cleansers of equivalent disinfectant quality when used as directed, if their use is recommended or approved by the respirator manufacturer.
    E. Rinse components thoroughly in clean, warm (43 deg. C [110 deg. F] maximum), preferably running water. Drain. The importance of thorough rinsing cannot be overemphasized. Detergents or disinfectants that dry on facepieces may result in dermatitis. In addition, some disinfectants may cause deterioration of rubber or corrosion of metal parts if not completely removed.
    F. Components should be hand-dried with a clean lint-free cloth or air-dried.
    G. Reassemble facepiece, replacing filters, cartridges, and canisters where necessary.
    H. Test the respirator to ensure that all components work properly.
    [63 FR 1152, Jan. 8, 1998]

Region:
    Toledo

Having just pulled up the OSHA standards for cleaning respirators the Oficial word on fit etc is http://www.ehso.com/OSHA1910_134.htm

Rubberron is offline Mainstream Media Sightings Editor Postacrat 1000+
    NL - Netherlands
    Region:
    Rotterdam

Hi to All

I once saw on television a fireman cleaning their masks with steam.

Rubberized Greetings
    Rubberron

Hissing Sid

Quote Originally spoken by Wired
    How is it possible to tell which size it is,are there markings on the mask?
    I'm not at home right now so I can't check but I know there *is* some kind of size mark on the Israeli masks. I think it's somewhere on the edge, maybe by one of the strap hooks.
    I seem to recall (vaguely) that it was a bit obscure. The box had something on it which said "A = Adult" (or something like that) and, when I looked on the mask, there was a letter "A".
    I'm not sure if this was exactly what happened but the point I'm making is that it's not as straightforward as just looking for the word "LARGE" stamped on the mask. :-/

My wife and I both have the same size so I can't tell you if there's any difference in the physical sizes of the Israeli masks.
    On me the breath cup presses against my face and the only imperfection in the fit is that there's a slight air gap around the bridge of my nose.
    The only significance is that, obviously, if the breath cup fits correctly then all the exhaled air goes straight out and you don't get any fogging. It doesn't affect the way the mask works.

The Israeli masks are all pretty small. They sit on the "front"of your face rather than covering it. The two that I bought were boxed, new, and were definately "large" or "adult" sized but they are actually pretty small compared to something like an S10.

rubberwearer

Many thanks for the helpful comments and suggestions.

When it comes to cleaning the irregularly shaped cavities and inner airways, maybe it is a good idea to wash and thoroughly rinse them out, as you say, and then brush them through in the cleaning solution with a suitably shaped "bottle brush" - getting into all the little crevices.

On the topic of loosing the rubber aroma, with the use of stronger antibacterial cleaners, - when you have been wearing the gas mask for a little time, the rubber smell gets less noticable anyway - and if the mask is thoroughly clean, it is all the more enjoyable in the knowledge that you are not inhaling any bugs that could have grown on any unremoved accumulations of condensation.

Perhaps it is a good idea to store it afterwards hanging up in a fresh air environment (out of the light if possible) so that the air can circulate freely around it.

rubber'w

CA Ontario, Canada
    Region:
    Ottawa, Ontario

I have a general question about gas masks.

I purchased a russian one recently, and while it is very neat, it has a drawback. To keep the lenses from foging, when you inhale part of the fresh air is blown onto the lenses. This works pretty well. However, I don't see very well, and I need to wear contact lenses with a gasmask. As a result, after 15-20 min my eyes dry out and it's rather unpleasant.

Do all gas mask have this feature?

Observer

UK Scotland
    Region:
    North Scotland

Observer I suggest you try a different type where the mask has a built in nose and mouth piece(oro nasal) example the Israeli Simplex. I find these more kinky anyway because I love the extra mask pressing on the face.

Your existing mask should resell quickly.

UK Scotland
    Region:
    North Scotland

Good topic and I have to say that I got caught out . It was a shock when I attached a corrugated rubber hose which had been stored for about a year. I breathed in lots of particles. The rubber had started to delaminate with age. I think it was a faster action due to the corrugations.
    The solution was lots of rinsing until no more loose bits appeared.

When using S6 for real in a CS gas chamber for training we all had to rinse our masks afterwards to remove the irritant particles.