Site Search Site Search
Since
Latex Fetish community Rubber Fetish community Rubberist Fetish community International Association of Rubberists logo The International Association of |R|ubberists
"You are not alone!"
Click a picture above to go HOME | Translate current page to: English -->               Arabic   English -->               Chinese   Traduisez le -->               Francais   Ubersetzen Sie -->               Deustch   Traduca Il -->               Italiano   English -->               Nippon-go   English -->               Korean   English -->               Portugese   English -->               Russian   Traduzca El -->               Espanol -->English Terms of service : you must be 18 or older to view this site. More..

View Poll Results: My preference for Gasmasks is

Voters
1677. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dislike very much

90 5.37%
  • Dislike

71 4.23%
  • Neutral

166 9.90%

328 19.56%
  • Like very much

1,022 60.94%
Page 21 of 31 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast

View Entire Thread: .GAS MASKS, Respirators or Rebreathers

AU - Australia
    Region:
    Sydney

Default Re: Modifying Gasmasks?

I'm not so sure that painting is a good idea. Paint leaves an inflexible layer that will crack and chip off at the slightest wrinkle of your mask. I feel that there are a couple of ways to go about this:
    1) Dye - probably need to prepare the surface of the rubber to increase the dye's effect
    2) Coating - something like liquid latex that can be cured? Or perhaps cut the mask along the seams, glue panels of rubber on the flat mask form, and then reglue with internal reinforcement?

Dye would be far and away the cheapest way to go, but I am unsure how effective it will be. Still, I would be interested in your experiment though!

twisto

I'm not sure if its at the experiment phase yet, more like the daydreaming one. I thought liquid latex would be the most realistic... Just wondering if anyone else has done it already as I'm not sure I want to be the guinee pig.

I guess another option would be to cut it around the face and glue it to an open faced hood... But that isn't exactly what I'm looking for.

AU - Australia
    Region:
    Melbourne

Before trying to modify a gas mask you should check that the gas mask is made of a compatible material to the latex and the glue you intend to use.

I didn't like the fact that the gas mask that I had, did not fully enclose my head and neck, so I made a heavy latex hood and glued the gas mask to it. Luckily I left the straps on the mask although I had intended to cut them off. However, I found that the gas mask was too heavy for the hood and its weight tended to pull the hood down over the face - only a couple of cm, but enough to pull the eye and nostril holes of the hood away from where they needed to be to function properly.
    Although the gas mask did more or less stick to the hood which I made out of .45mm latex, the hydrocarbon solvent based glue did not bond perfectly with the rubber of the gas mask. I think that a water or ammonia based latex glue would not have bonded at all with the gas mask.

In retrospect it would have been better simply to wear the gas mask over the hood.

Glaftex

new2rubr

Quote Originally spoken by twisto View Post
    Does anyone know what I should use to PAINT my gasmask? I have a Russian GP-5 in grey, and was thinking about some more exotic colours. Maybe red? Purple?

I just don't know if I can use regular paints like acrylic, or maybe liquid latex. What will stick/adhere to the gasmask?

Thanks for reading,

~twisto
    Hello twisto i am a custom auto painter & i think i can help first do not use any type of paint on the mask it will not work liquid latex if sprayed might work i tryed brushing but it lifts it is not clean well. I think if you can get a colour of latex you like and glue a pattern on the mask would be the way to go painting dying & ink i have tryed & it does not work. I hope this helps

Dave :ca:

NZ - New Zealand
    Region:
    North Island

Default Russian Gasmask

Hi folks,

I have just purchased a Russian Gasmask from Blackstyle, the type that has a half rubber hood attached rather than straps. I think the mask is great, because of:

1) the half rubber hood,
    2) the port-hole eye pieces,
    3) the price (only 17 Euros).

However, the smell of the rubber hood (and the rubber tube I bought to go with the mask) are (to me) particularly unpleasant. I love the smell of all the rubber clothing I have, but the mask and tube smell quite different, sort of industrial.

So, does any one have any ideas about how I can reduce or mask (no pun intended ) this smell? I have tried washing the mask and hose in soapy water (as I do my other rubber gear), but it has made no difference.

All suggestions gratefully received. :nz:

Wired is offline Director and Webmaster Postacrat 1000+
    UK England (northern)
    Region:
    Lancashire

Default Re: Russian Gasmask

Hi jota3cl,

I think I know the one you mean. I had one too, gone to pastures new now but it did have an unusually strong industrial rubber smell to it.

I guess the new mask will smell quite strongly as its likely been stored in a sealed bag for most of its "shelf life".

After a few weeks exposure to fresh air the smell will probably diminish a little but you could always try polishing it with the milky blue polish generally available from most latex retailers.

This polish has a nice perfume which although not annoyingly strong smelling maybe will reduce the industrial smell of your mask.

Rubb is offline IAR Ass't Webmstr & Technical Director Postacrat 400+
    LV - Latvia
    Region:
    Ventspils

I too have few those gaskamsks - found in garbage in my friends home...

Those gasmasks has smell, in my opinion because they are made of some chemically resistant rubber - they are individual protective things, made for survival, without keeping fetishists and their noses in mind

Region:
    Toledo

You might try soaking it in diluted chlorine solution and use the polish.

CA Ontario, Canada
    Region:
    LONDON

I Dont Know If Blackstyle Is A Fetish Shop Or Not ...but I Got My Russian Gasmask From A Surplus Store For About 8 Bucks ..the Smell On These Particlur Ones Are Nice,,a Thick Rubber Smell..i Prefer The Full Wrap Around.....the One Ive Got Is Gray.. Have Yet To Find A Black One

US Pacific Southwest US
    Region:
    Crestline

Default Re: .GAS MASKS, Respirators or Rebreathers

Well we have a surplus of gas mask parts for Israeli style masks (old-style) ourselves. We are down to inner nose cups, shells, drinking tubes, lenses (plastic and glass), retainers and the like. Looks like the above post came true...and more than we bargained for. Heh.

I know that eBay might be a good place to sell some parts but before I do, I am trying to see if the rubberdex might help me hook up with other gas mask enthusiasts who might need a spare part.

-Kat
    :us: "Dont do anything I wouldnt do...oh wait...short list":us: