Site Search Site Search
Since
Latex Fetish community Rubber Fetish community Rubberist Fetish community International Association of Rubberists logo The International Association of |R|ubberists
"You are not alone!"
Click a picture above to go HOME | Translate current page to: English -->               Arabic   English -->               Chinese   Traduisez le -->               Francais   Ubersetzen Sie -->               Deustch   Traduca Il -->               Italiano   English -->               Nippon-go   English -->               Korean   English -->               Portugese   English -->               Russian   Traduzca El -->               Espanol -->English Terms of service : you must be 18 or older to view this site. More..
Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

View Entire Thread: -----PATTERNS & PATTERN-MAKING-----

Ataraxia is online now IAR Founder & |R|ubberNaut (Retired) Postacrat 1000+
    US Eastern US, Middle Atlantic
    Region:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Default Re: Wired's Pattern Club!

Incidentally, there is a large amount of information (links) on pattern-making software here: http://www.costumes.org/computer/1pa...erprograms.htm

Note that this is a costumers website. I would think there may be numerous costume patterns that could be adapted to making rubber garments! Imagine things like formal Renaissance, Baroque or Gothic gowns in latex! What would Shakespeare or Louis XIV wear if they were Rubberists and latex was available in thier time? Someone could have a lot of fun with this!

Want to go deeper? See my blog at RubberNaut.com

UK England (south eastern)
    Region:
    Cambridge

Quote Originally spoken by wired
    then after that moved on to creating patterns using 'vanilla' clothing like t shirts and jeans to get the essential shapes (crotch - armpit etc) then
    Stretchy.org's focus is on catsuits, not vanilla clothing. I find a french curve better for the arm scythe and similar shapes, than copying clothing whose curves will have been distorted.

I would offer this advice if using patterns designed for use with lycra, IMHO lycra has much more stretch than latex
    Lycra's 70%, latex is some 400%, but the pattern-making directions on Stretchy already factor the material's stretch in. (Stretchy doesn't much concern itself with commercial patterns, which is why they're barely mentioned; I'm not sure where you got the impression otherwise.)

My post was asking for opinions whether it was better to describe Stretchy's pattern-making method to its visitors by describing a plotting-based method, or to write a program to translate their measurements to SVG and expect them to print and assemble a few dozen sheets of A4. (Or both.)

I thought it was related to the discussion at hand, but perhaps I was mistaken and should have started a separate thread.

Apologies,

Tim
    Last edited by warwick; 2005-Jan-20 at 02:39. Reason: Typo

Wired is offline Director and Webmaster Postacrat 1000+
    UK England (northern)
    Region:
    Lancashire

Hi Tim,

No need for apologies ,maybe I have confused the issues a little.

Now I'm curious about working with rubber rather than fabric, particularly how to modify a fabric pattern.
    I just thought I'd offer you some info on the basic issues concerning the above comment I found in your profile.

than copying clothing whose curves will have been distorted.
    The seams on the jeans and shirts were cut and dismantled into their composite parts before drawing the pattern from them, ie,so that the curves wouldnt distort,they would be as originally cut. I only used the curved parts for reference for armpits ,crotch etc.

Stretchy doesn't much concern itself with commercial patterns, which is why they're barely mentioned; I'm not sure where you got the impression otherwise.)
    Yes I'm aware of that, I only included the Nevtex link in order to give UK members an alternative to the US supplier of patterns you mention on your website.

IMHO the plotting method is best as it requires no special computer skills or complicated printing methods.

Regards,

Wired.

UK England (south eastern)
    Region:
    Cambridge

I just thought I'd offer you some info on the basic issues concerning the above comment I found in your profile.
    Ah, I wasn't very clear there, was I? I've fixed that now; thanks.

I only included the Nevtex link in order to give UK members an alternative to the US supplier of patterns you mention on your website.
    Gotchya. I've added them to Stretchy's commercial links page too.

IMHO the plotting method is best as it requires no special computer skills or complicated printing methods.
    Thanks, that was my feeling too.

That said, it occurs to me that SVG could provide both a small-scale pattern with the measurements marked out to help manual plotting go more smoothly, and a route for anyone wanting to mess about with printers and sellotape to work that way too, so I think I'll add this to my copious 'to do' list and get around to it in a decade or so.

Cheers,

Tim
    Last edited by warwick; 2004-Aug-28 at 11:52. Reason: I can't leave well alone.

UK England (London area)
    Region:
    Essex

Default What do you find best for marking out patterns??

Hi all,

Might sound like a really daft question... but i could use the answers... lol

What do you guys use to mark out your patterns on latex??

Dressmakers chalk/pencil, marker pens, biro's etc etc??

Any input/recomendations greatly appreciated.
    Stay safe, Stay well, Dream well!!

Chainy

Webmaster of -The Alternative Lifestyles Directory - A.L.D.

US Eastern US, Middle Atlantic
    Region:
    Washington DC Metro Area

Default Re: What do you find best for marking out patterns??

I've noticed that Skin Two uses graphite pencil to mark the latex during production (they often forget to remove the markings). A graphite pencil or taylors chalk works very well for marking rubber.
    SLYX

UK England (London area)
    Region:
    Essex

thanks Slyx,

By graphite pencil do you mean a normal pencil ? i would assume that it would have to be something softer than an HB most commonly used in offices/schools here...

Cheers

Chainy

Wired is offline Director and Webmaster Postacrat 1000+
    UK England (northern)
    Region:
    Lancashire

Hi chainyI use an OHP pen, used for marking transparencies, washes off with water.

regards,
    Wired.

AU - Australia
    Region:
    Melbourne

I use the special dressmakers pen which fades to an invisible mark after a few hours. Usually available in different colours, which helps if you are using some of the brighter colours.

UK England (London area)
    Region:
    Essex

Thanks Wired & Glafex.

Just to follow on.. with the ink solutions... OHP pens etc... do you find the ink dries properly?? or do you end up with hands covered in lines where they have lifted from the latex? erm... maybe i should`nt have used that rollerball!!!! lol

cheers

Chainy