Site Search Site Search
Since
Latex Fetish community Rubber Fetish community Rubberist Fetish community International Association of Rubberists logo The International Association of |R|ubberists
"You are not alone!"
Click a picture above to go HOME | Translate current page to: English -->               Arabic   English -->               Chinese   Traduisez le -->               Francais   Ubersetzen Sie -->               Deustch   Traduca Il -->               Italiano   English -->               Nippon-go   English -->               Korean   English -->               Portugese   English -->               Russian   Traduzca El -->               Espanol -->English Terms of service : you must be 18 or older to view this site. More..
Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

View Entire Thread: -----PATTERNS & PATTERN-MAKING-----

UK England (south eastern)
    Region:
    Cambridge

Default Re: Wired's Pattern Club!

The catsuit pattern program I'm writing is broadly similar to the corset site, in that you put your measurements in, but it lets you drag curves around and will end up printing the pattern either full-sized or to some convenient scale.

Having seen the corset site, though, it occurs to me that Stretchy could do with a bit of a tidy-up: a few more step-by-step graphics etc.

Since I've made a start on the program, I'll concentrate on getting that to a useable state before I mess around with Stretchy's text (although I might write up a vacbed how-to, now I've worked out a design that doesn't need a vacuum cleaner).

Cheers,

Tim

US Midwest Southern US
    Region:
    Austin, TX

Wow, you got my attention...a vacuum cleaner-less vac bed?! Do tell when you have a minute....

I'll contact you through your site about the measurement program...I may be able to lend a hand and I'd like to see it be able to output SVGs.

UK England (south eastern)
    Region:
    Gosport, UK

I suspect the lack of people submitting patterns is due to the fact that the format doesn't seem to have been decided on yet.

As has been pointed out, unpicking "normal" clothes is an easy way to create many garments, I intend to do this myself. When I do, I'll try to document and upload the patterns by some means or other.

My 2p's worth is that whatever format is decided upon must be:

1) Viewable / printable by everyone - moving into the realms of CAD files is dodgy ground, even if the results are better. Most people could cope with printing out a design that's a bit pixellated and just smoothing the edges before cutting, as such a large JPEG/GIF/BMP/PNG's would not be the end of the world, even if you have to add some smaller details as separate files that "overlay" the original printout to provide extra detail.

2) Creatable using free or universally available software - available on PC and MAC, even if it's two different packages to create the same result. And preferably freeware.

I'm just contemplating buying a disposable paper boiler suit and using that as a pattern, there is other industrial workwear that is in similar vein - disposable rubber gloves I'd guess would give an ideal pattern for "proper" rubber gloves, for example.

US Midwest Southern US
    Region:
    Austin, TX

I don't think I'll ever attempt making gloves unless I have a large glut of free time 'on my hands'. I'm loving the 'Black Satin' brand disposables since I discovered them.

I suppose it doesn't help to reiterate my opinions, but I firmly believe SVG should be the standard. It's specifically designed to allow the reproduction of line drawings in their exact measurements.

1) Viewable / printable by everyone
    This is ambiguous... in saying "by everyone" you mean without downloading additional software...printing from internet explorer or whatnot....I believe this creates more problems than it solves. The problem with jpg/gif/bmp/picture formats is there is no reference to the scale of the image...you would spend way too much time and paper figuring out how big to print the thing. You're right that pixelation and quality aren't big issues, but getting the image into the real world is....there will need to be a specialized program.

Creatable using free or universally available software - available on PC and MAC
    Ahem, Inkscape.....free...available...cross-platofrm..even has linux versions. As the SVG standard grows many more programs will come to support it. They are also developing a SVGPrint standard that may rival PostScript....meaning automatic printing of a design that spans many pages will eventually be available.

Warwick's idea of a custom made program and format in java may also work, but it's got a ways to go...all the software development - the editor, the printing, the saved designs - it's a lot of effort.

Any other suggestions? Jin, when you take apart your clothes for patterns, please give inkscape a shot for putting them on the computer....perhaps that will be the next nerdy tutorial I work on....helpful?
    claus?tro?phi?li?a (n.): A love of enclosed spaces
    claus @ slicko . net

AU - Australia
    Region:
    Melbourne

I have tried making gloves but it is virtually impossible to end up with a product that looks like anything worth wearing. You might ask why bother, but the two reasons I have tried is to have gloves in colours other than black or red, and the other is to have gloves large enough to prevent loss of circulation. In the end I resorted to making mittens - ie gloves with a separate thumb, but just one sleeve for the fingers. These look quite smart and it is possible to end up with a fairly professional job. And they certainly add a nice touch to a catsuit of the same colour.
    Patterns are easy to produce - lay your hand flat on a piece of paper with the fingers together and the thumb at right angles to the fingers and trace around them and the wrist as far up the arm as you wish. Then measure your wrist, thumb - particularly at the base and the fingers where they connect to the palm and about the first joint. Use these measurements to slightly modify the tracing. When making the mitten up, I find that the if the thumb is glued first it is easier.

Glaftex

Ataraxia is online now IAR Founder & |R|ubberNaut (Retired) Postacrat 1000+
    US Eastern US, Middle Atlantic
    Region:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

I suspect that even if some "standard" format did emerge, the real problem is just that the average person does not have the time, energy or, in particular, the interest to go to all of the trouble of learning a program and then inputting and adapting a pattern to.

Then, there is also the problem with the other side of the equation. Those interested in making some garment will also have to figure out how to operate the program to adapt the pattern to their particular measures.

I think it's all just too much hassle for most people.

I suspect that the only way to make this viable is to commercialize and "de-mystify" it.

An entrepreurial person could design and publish a pattern in a manner similar to the way mainstream publishers of patterns such as Simplicity, etc. have been doing it for years. That is, print the pattern on large sheets of paper with each component drawn in several different sizes so that it can be cut out to fit someone's personal measures.

How much does a used plotter cost these days?

Perhaps we should be looking for some sort of commercial services equipped with large-scale printers who could actually print the patterns out on big sheets of paper (like Simplicity, etc. do) to be mailed to the customer???

In any case, the publisher is looking at some investment in software and printing equipment. The only way to justify that is to make a business out of it and charge money for the patterns. That would also provide incentives for more people to try their hand at this.
    "And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Nietzche

Wired is offline Director and Webmaster Postacrat 1000+
    UK England (northern)
    Region:
    Lancashire

Hi all,

JIn wrote

As has been pointed out, unpicking "normal" clothes is an easy way to create many garments

Indeed my first catsuit was made solely using this method which Glaftex related to me. I used a old pair of jeans to form a pattern for the leggings part and an old t shirt to form the basis of the top of the suit. It's worth noting that the really your just using the garment to find the correct curved shapes that form well fitting crotch seams and armhole seam patterns. Once you have these shapes to work off it's really just a matter of relating your own next to skin measurements onto the shapes provide by the 'vanilla' garment. Simply apply your own waist -hips-thigh -knee -calf etc onto the pattern drawn from the jeans. My first attempt with this method produced a pattern which did not differ from a commercial leggings patern which I later obtained from here,

http://www.nevtex.co.uk/

so it is possible quite simply and cheaply to produce good,working patterns. I also think that starting off this way using paper,pen and ruler is an excellent intro into the pattern makers art.
    Using a commercial dancewear pattern can save you considerable time as all the hard work has already been done and all thats needed is to translate your own measurements onto a copy of the pattern.

Gord wrote,

And on gloves - has ANYONE actually made, or even contemplated making, a pair of gloves

I've not yet come across anyone making gloves by 'hand'.You can get lots of diffrent colours in molded gloves thgough nowadays and are the ones generally added to catsuits of colours other than the usual black or red,I've seen White,Orange,Yellow etc for sale at

www.blackstyle.de

I've had a go at making them but it's practically impossible to control the amount of stretch needed for all those tight ,small curves. I managed to make a pretty good penis sheath for my leggings but the curve on the end of that is about the tightest I've managed so far. I believe Freespirit has an ingenious method of cutting and glueing latex which is the best solution that I heard so far and may provide a suitable way to manufacture gloves. Over to you Freespirit............

Regards,
    Wired.

UK England (northern)
    Region:
    Lancashire

Hi all,

Members who are interested in producing their own patterns may find this thread of some interest and use. It relates to the use of a cling film/saran wrap and tape method of producing 3D patterns which are then traceable onto paper.

http://rubberist.net/forums/showthre...?t=1843&page=2

Regards,
    Wired.

slickboy

I would like to download the unitard pattern but only came an empty, 0 byte file. What is the problem? Please help. Thanks in forward!

UK England (northern)
    Region:
    Lancashire

Here you go slickboy, the attachment should work fine now. Let us know how you get on!

Regards,
    Wired.
    Attached Files