Site Search Site Search
Since
Latex Fetish community Rubber Fetish community Rubberist Fetish community International Association of Rubberists logo The International Association of |R|ubberists
"You are not alone!"
Click a picture above to go HOME | Translate current page to: English -->               Arabic   English -->               Chinese   Traduisez le -->               Francais   Ubersetzen Sie -->               Deustch   Traduca Il -->               Italiano   English -->               Nippon-go   English -->               Korean   English -->               Portugese   English -->               Russian   Traduzca El -->               Espanol -->English Terms of service : you must be 18 or older to view this site. More..
Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

View Entire Thread: -----PATTERNS & PATTERN-MAKING-----

Wired is offline Director and Webmaster Postacrat 1000+
    UK England (northern)
    Region:
    Lancashire

Default Re: Wired's Pattern Club!

Hi All,

A question for CAD users.
    Is there a CAD program which will allow me to trace a pattern using a pen-mouse, I'm thinking this may be the best way for me to make patterns available to all and make it easier for me to draw them. Maybe this is a standard feature of CAD progs but i have no experience in that dept so I'd appreciate any advice.
    In partial answer to Ataraxia's question ,the usual seam allowance for 'vanilla' clothing is 5/8's of an inch but 'Stretchy' seems to use different or no seam allowances for different sections of the suit. You'd have to replace these with either 5mm or 1 cm lap seams depending on the pattern piece.
    If I were having a crack at making a suit for the first time, I'd use Glaftex's excellent methods for generating patterns from your old vanilla T-shirts and leggings/jeans. Its very easy and extremely effective ,here's a link to the post.

Glaftex Pattern Making Supremo

Regards,
    Wired.

UK England (south eastern)
    Region:
    Suffolk

Rather than tracing the patterns your local print shop should be able to scan them into dxf format (I did this a couple of years ago for work and I think it cost about ?4 for an A1 scan). For a few patterns this would work out less expensive than buying CAD software. If the patterns are complex it would also be easier than tracing them.

If you want to create patterns on CAD and have limited drafting skills. You could use Wired's initial idea of laying paterns on a grid of squares. Draw the squares on a CAD programme and then measure to various points and draw the pattern by connecting the dots.Taking a photograph will lead to errors in the pattern due to perspective but these could be reduced by taking the photo at a distance.

I self-taught myself to use CAD a few years ago using DesignCAD (It was cheap and cheerful). You only need 2D functionality for drawing patterns and very basic funtionality. I notice that DesignCAD Express is available as a free trial download from http://www.imsisoft.com/faminfo.asp?fam=2

To view dxf files there are a few free programmes which I have used in the past: View32 http://www.fastcad.com/vw_dl.html and Voloview from Autodesk. It is a long time since I used Voloview (I recollect that it had very limited functionality). View32 enables you to scale off drawings which could be useful.

Regards
    I&C

Ataraxia is online now IAR Founder & |R|ubberNaut (Retired) Postacrat 1000+
    US Eastern US, Middle Atlantic
    Region:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

If, say, you post a pattern for some relatively complex item here, how does one go about modifying it to accomodate a different body size?

Want to go deeper? See my blog at RubberNaut.com

UK England (northern)
    Region:
    Lancashire

Re: Wired's Pattern Club!

Greetz all,
    Thanks to everybody whose added their valued info to this thread so far!I'm following up the CAD/Tracing idea.Stay tuned.
    OK! For those of you interested in making a hood (echo,echo,echo.....), the plans and pics will be posted today/tomorrow, so get yer glue and rubber ready !

The post will consist of step by step instructions and a photo of the pattern pieces on a grid (inch squares). Dont forget to customize the pattern pieces with your own measurements , ie, round the forehead ,nose, chin,neck etc, but I think the hood 'as is' will probably fit most heads/necks. However if it doesent fit well ,you can use the central panel to make adjustments to the overall size and fit of the hood.

Once your on with it , I'll be happy to help out with any questions ,advice etc.

Hope you have fun with it!

Wired.

UK England (northern)
    Region:
    Lancashire

Hood Pattern!

Greetz All,

As promised (if a little late.. ) the hood pattern and instructions for assembly. The squares on the grid are one inch.
    I'm going to leave out the cutting and glueing techniques etc as there is a wealth of info covering such topics in the archives. Although if you need any help just give me a shout!

Step One, Glue the neck pieces to the hood sides, you may notice the seam line on the picture, 1 centimeter lap seams have been allowed for over the whole hood pattern.
    Step Two, Join the gusset (centre panel) to the left side of the hood, the arrow on the picture shows the start of the pointed end of the gusset.
    Step Three, Glue the two hood pieces from the neck to the start of the gusset.
    Step Four, Attach the right hand side of the hood to the right hand side of the panel - now you have a hood!
    Step Five, Trim off any excess on the panel at the bottom of the neck. If you are good at hemming ,make a 3/4 cm hem over the neck or reinforce with a 3/4cm strip of latex.
    Step Six, Add eye,nose and mouth holes as desired and reinforce with 3/4 cm strips of latex.

I hope this is of some use to y'all,
    Let me know how ya get on!

Wired.

UK England (northern)
    Region:
    Lancashire

OOPss................

here's the pic.
    Attached Images

DK - Denmark
    Region:
    Aalborg

Right, a bit of work later, and here you go The attached zip file contains the svg (Scalable Vector Graphics) source for the picture. Sorry about the large size, it's A4 size at 150 DPI
    NOTE: If the picture looks really messed up, you are using an old internet browser, and I suggest you go get a new one at Mozilla.org
    Attached Files

UK England (northern)
    Region:
    Lancashire

Re: Wired's Pattern Club!

Thanks Leinir,

Wow,that's great!! How was this achieved? By tracing into CAD?
    I'm impressed!!

Regards,
    Wired.

DK - Denmark
    Region:
    Aalborg

Naah, it's done using an opensource program called [xlink=6748]InkScape[/xlink] which is a vector drawing program. I'm not sure wether or not there is a MacOS X version, but there might be a version for MacOS X in Fink or DarwinPorts... Both Linux and Windows versions are available from the homepage, though the windows version is a couple of months old.

I am currently designing a web-site for hosting patterns for rubber stuff (it's gonna be called The Database Of Rubberist Patterns ) and be linked directly back here, of course. The design as it is now has a picture of your hood in it... Will you give your permission for this? (I of course have to ask, what with copyright law and everything )
    Last edited by Ataraxia; 2004-Aug-27 at 16:05.

Ataraxia is online now IAR Founder & |R|ubberNaut (Retired) Postacrat 1000+
    US Eastern US, Middle Atlantic
    Region:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Default Svg

I have added SVG as an uploadable attachment type.

Here are Google and WikiPedia searches on SVG: svg scalable vector graphicG M Y SVGWped

There appear to be several freeware viewers for SVG files but I didn't see any (free) programs for creating them. Can anyone suggest some?

Am still looking for an "IAR standard" file type to adopt for exchanging garment patterns. (I don't know much about this stuff.) Is SVG a particularly good candidate? If so, why?

Want to go deeper? See my blog at RubberNaut.com