Site Search Site Search
Since
Latex Fetish community Rubber Fetish community Rubberist Fetish community International Association of Rubberists logo The International Association of |R|ubberists
"You are not alone!"
Click a picture above to go HOME | Translate current page to: English -->               Arabic   English -->               Chinese   Traduisez le -->               Francais   Ubersetzen Sie -->               Deustch   Traduca Il -->               Italiano   English -->               Nippon-go   English -->               Korean   English -->               Portugese   English -->               Russian   Traduzca El -->               Espanol -->English Terms of service : you must be 18 or older to view this site. More..
Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

View Entire Thread: -----PATTERNS & PATTERN-MAKING-----

Lupin

Default Re: Wired's Pattern Club!

The problem with jpg/gif/bmp/picture formats is there is no reference to the scale of the image
    Technically, there is a DPI value in almost all popular graphics formats, though at the implementation level it may be expressed as units or whatnot. The point is, that a properly formed jpeg does indeed indicate the correct 'real' size for the image.

IE scales images to fit the page, but even the basic windows paint program can do better than this. Every OS provides some means of printing images the right size. Most printer drivers can correctly break an image across several sheets as well.

If this weren't enough, the addition of a simple one inch, one cm, or whatever scale marker as part of the image (such as a grid) means that even if it is printed the wrong size it can be manually scaled to the right one.

The existing gridded patterns, with the correct DPI resolution set into the image and a scale per square marked on them as part of the image provide a one size fits all solution.

US Midwest Southern US
    Region:
    Austin, TX

Even if you fiddle with resizing one of those image types to match a pictured grid it still doesn't allow for any editing or sharing of the pattern. It's a one-way ticket. Perhaps that would benefit a few people, but if you are looking to make or share your own garments the other functionality is really necessary.

For getting a quick one-off pattern, a description of how to measure and a general idea of what the pattern looks like works much better IMHO...such as on stretchy.org[rdx]6718[/rdx]. Or just cutting up an old pair of pants or whatnot.
    claus?tro?phi?li?a (n.): A love of enclosed spaces
    claus @ slicko . net

ZA - South Africa
    Region:
    Johannesburg

Gord I have made gloves for all my full suits and never had trouble making them, first trace your hand out on a piece of paper with your hand stretched out wide,then from the middle of the index finger and thumb scribe an arc to just bellow the thumb base, cut the thumb piece of and use that as a seperate add on piece,now take your material lay it down flat and fold making sure the side to see is on the inside, now place the patern on the material with the thumb side up against the fold, so you are going to only sew one seem on oposite side. Asuming this is stretch lycra mark out onto material making it a 5mm outline larger all the way round the fingers,cut out and sew together using a very fine stitch on your sewing machine, then sew on the thumb which you have prepared,same double method stiched together,turn inside out and you have the glove, now that you are completely confused by my explanation, I guess I'll have to come and show you, ha ha, ask if my instructions are not clear.With a little care and patience and after a couple of tries you get it rite,all my full suits I made with no help in secret by trial and error,all my paterns were improved bit by bit ,on the 13 pattern have perfected my fitt, hows that for determination, dont give up.

ZA - South Africa
    Region:
    Johannesburg

Wired,if only I was computor literate, would show you how to simply make a full suit patern, for yourself,I am trying to think out a system of making a sketch on paper then scaning it to post,you tell me how to do it and I will submit it to our posts,it seems such a pity all the effort I've put in to getting this rite should be wasted,my suits fitt perfectely,tihgt and hug every part of the body no creases or folds,with lycra and 2 way stretch PVC one can make an awsome suit,I bet from a few yards away you would not tell the diff between PVC and rubber except rubber has that distinctive shine,my most recent suit has been a PVC alli foil 2 way stretch job I just added it onto my frofile, the feel of the foil is great my best yet although ,have yet to try rubber.

Lupin

Quote Originally spoken by Claustrophilia
    Even if you fiddle with resizing one of those image types to match a pictured grid it still doesn't allow for any editing or sharing of the pattern. It's a one-way ticket. Perhaps that would benefit a few people, but if you are looking to make or share your own garments the other functionality is really necessary.
    Could you explain what you mean by 'sharing' of the pattern? To me, sharing a pattern means posting it in a public place, along with notes on the order seams should be glued, and any tricky details, and the measurements it is intended to fit as provided. You seem to mean something else. What are your ambitions for sharing?

Surely, it is a good thing for the pattern to be out there, even if only one size, rather than sitting at home on someone's computer where nobody else can see it? The addition of a scale, measurements, or instructions are the icing on the cake.

It is then a fairly simple matter for someone to copy by hand and make allowances for sizing according to measurements and common sense.

I have had success with the 'patterns', which have no scale at all, in the Making Latex Clothes Book using basic commonsense measuring and scaling. I admit people always have to adapt things for themselves because no two people are shaped the same way. We do have the advantage that rubber can be quite stretchy, unless it is really thick, so for typical ML garments there's quite a bit of wiggle room.

Given an image to trace over, it is trivial to enter a pattern into most pattern making s/w I have heard of, or into Adobe Illustrator (which is what I use). I for one am happy to find any images of patterns, though it would be useful to have complex sizing data in a file, I don't have private access to a program that can use it, so I make do with Illustrator.

US Midwest Southern US
    Region:
    Austin, TX

Hey Lupin, Illustrator or the like (have I mentioned Inkscape[rdx]6748[/rdx] lately?) is exactly what I'm talking about. A program/file format where you can tweak the pattern, then upload it back to the community... so one person can say "this is my mask" and the next can say "this is it with horns". And anybody who wants to benefit from the designs can download and print patterns to their hearts content. Of course that last part can be done with regular images, but who's going to be sharing or tweaking patterns if there is no interaction? The message boards here are probably not too convenient to share patterns with, so I'll be working on an open library at rubberyfun.com....this is all assuming people would actually learn a program like inkscape or illustrator to do this. I now have 3 patterns and a template posted....I'd put up more but they are so tight on me I'm afraid it would only disappoint others.
    claus?tro?phi?li?a (n.): A love of enclosed spaces
    claus @ slicko . net

US Pacific Northwest US
    Region:
    SF Bay Area, California

Default Re: Database of Rubberist Patterns

I don't know what the problem is, but I can't get to any of the patterns anymore ? I've tried in IE and Firefox...

Rubb is offline IAR Ass't Webmstr & Technical Director Postacrat 400+
    LV - Latvia
    Region:
    Ventspils

Yes. It looks like that site is dead :-/

Wired is offline Director and Webmaster Postacrat 1000+
    UK England (northern)
    Region:
    Lancashire

Hi Rachel'sPet,

You can find the hood pattern and maybe more here,

http://rubberist.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2043

Hope this helps,
    Wired.

US Pacific Northwest US
    Region:
    SF Bay Area, California

Unfortunately, I was actually looking for the unitard pattern, which also seems to be corrupted on Claustrophilia's site as well. Whenever I try to download, it ends up being a 0 kb file?